WORSHIP SERIES: HOLY ROAR (Shabach)


Worship is not just music, but a whole lifestyle - it flows into everything we do
We don’t just worship God, we worship other people & objects
Seven Hebrew words for praise

YADAH

to revere or worship with extended hands. To hold out the hands. To throw a stone or arrow.

HALAL

to boast. to rave. to shine. to celebrate. to be clamorously foolish

ZAMAR

to make music. to celebrate in song and music. to touch the strings or parts of a musical instrument.

TOWDAH

an extension of the hand. Thanksgiving. A confession. A sacrifice of praise. Thanksgiving for things not yet received. A choir of worshippers.

BARAK

to kneel. to bless God (as an act of adoration). to praise. to salute. to thank.
Alt Meaning: to bend low while keeping one’s eyes fixed on the kind.

TEHILLAH

laudation. a hymn. a song of praise. a new song. a spontaneous song.

SHABACH

to address in a loud tone. to shout to commend, glory, and triumph
We are going to look at two Psalms tonight.
A Psalm is a song, and the Book of Psalms is a collection of songs or poems.

1. Pain-Ful Praise

David Succeeds & Flees

David kills Goliath // he was supposed to win the hand of Saul’s daughter, Michal
Saul tells him he must go kill 100 Philistines; David kills 200
Saul planned to have the Philistines murder David in combat.
David marries Michal
Saul is still out to kill David >> David flees and ends up in Gath
1 Samuel 21:10-13
1 Samuel 21:10–12 ESV
10 And David rose and fled that day from Saul and went to Achish the king of Gath. 11 And the servants of Achish said to him, “Is not this David the king of the land? Did they not sing to one another of him in dances, ‘Saul has struck down his thousands, and David his ten thousand’?” 12 And David took these words to heart and was much afraid of Achish the king of Gath.
Gath is where Goliath was from
David had killed their prized warrior, you don’t think they would seek revenge on David?

is born

To the choirmaster: according to The Dove on Far-off Terebinths. A Miktam of David, when the Philistines seized him in Gath.
Facts:
Author: David
Genre: Lament
Miktam (Prayer): “golden” or a psalm worthy enough to be stamped/engraved in gold
Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me; all day long an attacker oppresses me; my enemies trample on me all day long, for many attack me proudly. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I (halal) praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?
all day long an attacker oppresses me;
my enemies trample on me all day long,
for many attack me proudly.
When I am afraid,
Psalm 56:1–4 ESV
1 Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me; all day long an attacker oppresses me; 2 my enemies trample on me all day long, for many attack me proudly. 3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. 4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?
HALAL: to boast. to rave. to shine. to celebrate. to be clamorously foolish
I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I (halal) praise,
10  In God, whose word I (halal) praise, in the Lord, whose word I (halal) praise, 11  in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me? 12  I must perform my vows to you, O God; I will render (todah) thank offerings to you.
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can flesh do to me?
TOWDAH: an extension of the hand. Thanksgiving. A confession. A sacrifice of praise. Thanksgiving for things not yet received. A choir of worshippers.

The Decision to Praise

David had made a vow (promise, decision) that he was going to praise and give thanks to God no matter what his circumstances.
The praise that you give in the painful times is praise that you decided long before you got to the painful place.

Intentionality

When you decide to praise God no matter what, the matter what doesn’t matter.

2. JOY-FUL PRAISE

A (melody) Psalm for giving (todah) thanks. 
Facts:
Author: Unknown
Genre: Praise
Make a joyful (rua) noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with (renanah) singing! Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with (todah) thanksgiving and his courts with (tehillah) praise! Give (yadah) thanks to him; (barak) bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
Make a joyful (rua) noise to the Lord, all the earth!
Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with (renanah) singing!
Know that the Lord, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
RUA: to raise a shout, blast. battle cry. shout for joy.
Enter his gates with (todah) thanksgiving,
and his courts with (tehillah) praise!
Give (yadah) thanks to him; (barak) bless his name!
RENANAH: a ringing cry. joyful shout. joyful singing.
For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,

The Overflow Praise

and his faithfulness to all generations.
When your spiritual tank is filled and overflowing, look how many praises come in response!
RUA - a shout & battle cry
RENANAH - a ringing cry & joyful shout
TODAH - lifted hands of thanksgiving, even for things not yet received
YADAH - extended hands, to throw a stone or arrow
TEHILLA - a new song, spontaneous songs start flowing (remember these aren’t always the best songs, but they come from a place of intimacy)
BARAK - kneeling before God, an act of adoration

3. FROM PAIN TO JOY

David at the Cave of Adullam

David has just departed from Gath - where we saw him in
1 Samuel 22:1–5 ESV
1 David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam. And when his brothers and all his father’s house heard it, they went down there to him. 2 And everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone bitter in soul, gathered to him. And he became commander over them. And there were with him about four hundred men. 3 And David went from there to Mizpeh of Moab. And he said to the king of Moab, “Please let my father and my mother stay with you, till I know what God will do for me.” 4 And he left them with the king of Moab, and they stayed with him all the time that David was in the stronghold. 5 Then the prophet Gad said to David, “Do not remain in the stronghold; depart, and go into the land of Judah.” So David departed and went into the forest of Hereth.
1 Samuel 22:1–2 ESV
1 David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam. And when his brothers and all his father’s house heard it, they went down there to him. 2 And everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone bitter in soul, gathered to him. And he became commander over them. And there were with him about four hundred men.
1 Samuel 22:1
1 Samuel 22:1
David flees to a cave
Everyone who was in distress, debt, and bitter - surrounded him
400 busted-up people gathered around David in one of his lowest and most frightening times
1 Samuel 22:3–5 ESV
3 And David went from there to Mizpeh of Moab. And he said to the king of Moab, “Please let my father and my mother stay with you, till I know what God will do for me.” 4 And he left them with the king of Moab, and they stayed with him all the time that David was in the stronghold. 5 Then the prophet Gad said to David, “Do not remain in the stronghold; depart, and go into the land of Judah.” So David departed and went into the forest of Hereth.
Stronghold = the cave
David is told not to stay in that low place (stronghold)
sometimes it is easier to stay in misery, and it is easier to be around other people who are miserable because misery loves company
sometimes it is easier to stay hidden in the cave and not do anything, because you might get hurt again
What’s easy is not always what’s best!

David Leaves the Cave

David is told to leave the cave and go to the land of Judah!
This is significant because Judah means, PRAISE
God was telling David, leave your place of comfort, and come into the land of praise
God doesn’t say anything else, or promise anything - but David doesn’t need reassurance or prompting, he already knows that the land of praise, is better than the land of sorrow.

// CLOSING

Whether in joyful or painful times, the response is always praise!
Praise will flow easier in joyful times, but you must decide ahead of time that you will praise God no matter what
Praise must always include thanksgiving!
No matter what the circumstance, Paul, tells us in
“do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication (petitions, entities, multiple requests) with (eucharista) thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment